The Funky Monkey is an excellent tropical drink, from a category of cocktail that I don’t frequent often but when I do I’m reminded of how good these can be. In the case of the Funky Monkey the balance between the fruit and the booze is just right.
Recently, I discovered that the best milkshakes start with freezing banana’s. The frozen banana’s replace the need for ice-cream, simply add milk or almond milk and whatever else and your pretty much done. I used the same approach and with the Funky Monkey, the frozen banana’s the need for a ton of extra ice you need to add to the drink, and I don’t know about you, but to me that just means more room for booze. In the end you have a extremely creamy and cold cocktail. Happy blending!
– Scott Smith – Smitty’s Brew Review
- 1 oz Spiced Rum
- 1/2 oz dark creme de cacao
- 3 oz coconut milk
- 1 Banana
- Coconut Flakes (Optional)
- Nutmeg (Optional)
- Put the whole banana (with peel) in the freezer and let it get frozen. I usually keep a few bananas in the freezer so I can have an occasional banana shake. Once frozen, peel and put it in the blender with all the other ingredients and blend till smooth.
- Pour into a hurricane glass and garnish with coconut flakes and banana slice.
***The frozen banana will give it the cold it needs. Only use ice if your using a room temperature banana.